In order to add a symbol at the server side, some considerations should be taken, at first what applications you use at your server, second what is the type of the symbol, third which feed you use to reflect symbols prices.
The First Technique:
Adding symbol to a currency server that takes prices directly from the feed:
For example you want to add the new February contract of the gold, and you have already the current January gold contract with source GCF.
- Access your feed server using the RDP connection (The server that the feed application is installed in) and you will find the VertexFX Currency Server application.
- In this application select the current or old contract (GCF) and press right click then Copy (Ctrl + c).
- You will notice that a new symbol is added to the currency server but with new name GCF1 for example.
- Select this new symbol and press right click and Edit (Ctrl + e).
- The edit window of this symbol will appear to you, and by this window you will need to change the settings with the new contract info.
- In the Symbol Name, it is the source of the required symbol that should be similar to the source used at the back office side, so edit the name of the symbol with the new desired name for the new contract for example: GCG
- The Pip Location is the location of the updated pip of the price, and it varies from one symbol to another.
- Finally the DDE Sources, where the most important steps lie, as we can see there are two partitions.
- One is called Link Topic and it is the direct link to the feed to get the required price (Bid, Ask, High and Low) for that symbol, this field depends on the feed application type.
- The other is called Link Item that specifies the location of the corresponding price at the feed. For sure it will be as the GCF source so you need to change it as it is for the new contract of GCG, and press OK.
Note: After adding the new symbol, if the currency server has freezes and the following message appears to you at the bottom of the currency server:
No foreign application responded to a DDE initiate (for symbol ????)
Then please get back to the symbol that you have added and check the Link Topic and Link Item that you have used. If they are wrong, then you should contact your feed provider to check if they provide you with that required symbol.
The Second Technique:
Adding symbol to a currency server that takes prices from an Excel Sheet that may be used as Wrong quote or Bank filtration:
Some servers may have an Excel Sheet that used for many reasons, such as a wrong quote sheet or bank filtration, these sheets receive prices from the feed application using the DDE Technology, then the currency server receives the prices from the Excel sheet.
So here we must at first add the required symbol to the Excel Sheet, then adding the same symbol to the currency server.
The formula that is used to get a DDE Link from the feed may take many formats, and this depends on the feed that you used at your server side, so we will use a general one to discuss the style of adding symbols, and applying the DDE Link, the general format will take the following format:
- DDE Name, Feed Name, Symbol Name, Price Type.
- DDE Name: Depends on the feed provider.
- Feed Name: Depends on the feed provider.
- Symbol Name: General and distinguishable Name that known to all Traders.
- Price Type: Bid, Ask, High, Low Prices.
By using the valid parameters in this formula at the Excel Sheet, you can establish a DDE Link between it and the feed. For the purpose of adding a new symbol to the Excel Sheet, please follow these steps accurately:
- At the Excel Sheet, select an old symbol that reflects a price from the same feed of the new symbol, and then make a copy for the row where the old symbol is located. This step is used to save time so we don’t need to retype the above formula for each symbol and each price (Bid, Ask, High, Low).
- Select a new empty row at the Excel Sheet, and then paste the old row at this new one.
- Change the Name of the old symbol, to the name of the new symbol and to establish a DDE Link for each price, you should traverse through the row to search for a formula looks like our general one, and you can find the formula used for each cell at the formula bar.
- For each cell, you should change the required parameters (Change GC F3 to GC G3), depending on the used symbol and the price type, but you should note that in most cases there is no need to change anything else like DDE Name, Feed Name, price type or anything else depending on the formula, since we use a valid previously used one with valid parameters.
- Repeat step 5 above for all cells at the same row; tell you get the prices at all used cells.
Note: In some cases, if no prices appear at the Excel Sheet, you should check that you use a valid formula, a valid parameters at the formula, a valid contract for the required symbol, since if there anything wrong in one of these, then no prices will be reflected or a wrong price will be reflected.
After adding the symbol to the Excel Sheet and making sure that the prices are updating properly, you should go to the next step, and it is to add the same symbol at the Currency Server for this purpose please follow these steps:
- Copy the old contract as the previous example (Ctrl + c) then right click at the new symbol and edit it (Ctrl +e).
- Now change the symbol name with the new contract name you desire and to be used in the Backoffice side.
- Determine the suitable pip location for your symbol then press OK to load that symbol to the currency server.
- And finally at the Link Item Partition, you should specify the location of the corresponding price (Bid, Ask, High, and Low) at the Excel Sheet, column number, row number, like the following format:
R: for Row Keyword.
XX: the row number.
C: for Column Keyword.
YY: the column number.
You should note that these numbers should be right to reflect the prices properly, and this depends on the Excel Sheet Locations for prices (Bid, Ask, High, and Low). Also you should note that the row for one symbol should still the same for all prices, and only the column should be vary from one price to another depending on the Excel Sheet.
Note: After adding the new symbol, if the currency server has freezed and the following message appears to you at the bottom of the currency server:
No foreign application responded to a DDE initiate (for symbol ????)
Then please get back to the symbol that you have added and check the Link Topic and Link Item that you have used. If they are right, then you should contact your feed provider to check if they provide you with that required symbol.
After you finish adding the symbol on the server side all what you need to do is to go back to the Backoffice and open the System Options then go to the Symbols Settings tab, Edit any un- used symbol with the desired name, source (GCG) and rest of this symbol details.